Sunday, July 15, 2012

Distant Chapters Closing

I haven't posted in a while and many things could be the reason why, "I'm busy", "I'm forgettful" and "I'm uncertain what to blog" all fall into the main reasons why I haven't but now I find myself inspired by something a little sad. 2012 marks two years that I have been living on the east coast...two years, that's 730 days. Two years worth of "stuff" my friends back home have done, holidays with my family and birthday parties I've passed by. Two years of brief and infrequent phone calls, numerous letters and even more text messages to try and bridge the over 2,800 mile gap between where I've been and where I am now.

I writer today and am inspired today, because my heart hurts. Sure, I've missed graduations and big moments of need or happiness in my family or friends' lives, but in this moment, in this time, the thing that has tipped the scale is the departure of a very dear friend from a life I had the privilege to be a part of. On June 4th, my friend, Fr. Qui-Thac Ngyuen celebrated his last Mass as Chaplain at the WWU Newman Center in Bellingham, WA. Alums traveled from far and wide to be a part of his last Mass and to thank him for all he had done for so many college students at WWU. I know for me, he is my college years, he helped form my mind, my soul and my heart and to think of the Newman Center without him there, seems impossible.

The work I do is important and beyond rewarding. I have learned, lost, loved and grown so much in these two years but I cannot honestly say that I would be here, sitting in Washington DC, with two years under my belt dedicated to serving the most vulnerable; if it weren't for Padre Qui-Thac.

He has inspired me to serve, to love, others. He has always been my number one supporter and motivator. When I wasn't sure about JVC or the homesickness or even where to discern my calling, Padre was there with wise words and a good book to help me sort things through.

I love being here, I love being in DC, the "Mecca" for social change but I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss people, places and friends. Today I especially miss my friend, Fr. Qui-Thac. Although I know he is following his heart and discerned for himself where God was calling him, I know many will miss him and miss the impact he made on a lot of confused college students. 

No comments:

Post a Comment