Sunday, September 2, 2012

The Dance Keeps Changing

Well, it's Sunday and time for another Sunday reflection, brought to you by me!

I survived my first week of teaching Kindergarten. It happened and when all is said and done, I am excited to return on Tuesday.

As my last post suggests, my class is a little nontraditional in that we are a rag tag group of misfits thrown together; including yours truly. Our roster has changed at four times in the last week and the last change broke my heart a little. This is the subject of my reflection today.

My little buddy, Jason*, is 5 and in school for the first time. He has an IEP (special needs) and is an English Language Learner. He speaks Spanish (which I've enjoyed because I get to practice with him) and we've been working on his colors this week. He hates the dance parties we have in our classroom and will throw his hands on his head and look down at the ground in disgust whenever we begin dancing. It's hilarious.

Jason isn't literate in either language and barely knows Spanish. One of our golden moments with him was on Tuesday when my lead teacher asked him if he liked his graham cracker and he responded, "me gusta mucho" (I like it a lot). We were so excited because this meant  he understood the words we were saying. He had some inkling of understanding. Jason gets frustrated in our class because he doesn't always understand what we're talking about and the only way he can communicate this is by crying or calling out in Spanish.

He has a big heart though. When he smiles, it warms everyone's hearts. He has a way of looking at you and making you laugh. He can't hold a marker, barely can hold a crayon (we're working on his motor skills) and he demolished his paper kite when learning how to use scissors; but Jason smiled the entire time, laughing all the way. He's my boy and my lead teacher loves him too.

On Wednesday afternoon, we had another golden moment with Jason. We turned on the music, began our dance party and after the usual hands on the head, downward eyes and occasional sitting; Jason got up and started dancing. Jason started dancing with his classmates. I almost started crying. He was so happy.

On Thursday afternoon, one of my supervisors came into my classroom and informed me that Jason was going to be moved to the non-categorical classroom (the children with more severe IEPs). This broke my heart. As I said goodbye, Jason said his usual, "adios...ahhh..."

The next morning I was walking in my classroom and I stopped to see Jason standing in front of my classroom door. I walked up to him and asked how he was doing (in Spanish) and all he said was, "no" and shook his head. When I looked behind me, I saw Jason's mom and little sister and my supervisor, trying to entice Jason to go to his new classroom. Jason kept saying, "no" and shaking his head. He stood there, with his little backpack on, fighting this change. He knew he didn't belong in that classroom as much as I did. It took 20 minutes, numerous toys, bubbles and my lead teacher to get him into his new classroom. As much as it made my heart happy/proud it also made me sad at the same time; and I also became frustrated.

I don't agree with this change. I believe he has more of a language issue than a special need and we were making progress with him; he was producing English when asked to say it in English and was communicating with us in one way or another. I learned a lesson though, I learned that no matter how much I advocate for him or believe within my heart that this move was the wrong decision, it's not my choice. I have very little say in the situation. I can cry, scream, protest, fight as much as I want, but at the end of the day, Jason is in the non-cat classroom and all I can do is pray he kicks so much booty in the non-cat room that he's returned to our classroom one day.

Until then, our dance parties are a little less humorous and rewarding; still fun, I just miss him throwing his hands on his head in disgust while sporting that huge smile.

*Names have been changed

No comments:

Post a Comment