Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Reflections on Turning 25

As a five-year-old, I remember imagining myself at 16; thinking, "wow, I'll be driving, hanging out with cool friends, carrying around a lot of heavy books and hanging out at my locker a ton." When 16 came, those ideas became sorta realities, with some obvious twists.

Now that I'm four days away from turning a quarter century old, I'm remembering what I thought of 25 when I was five years old.

By 25, I thought I'd be wise, mature, accomplished. I thought I would've owned a house, that I cooked in all the time and drove a car to fancy meetings every day and discussed important business things, using big business words. I can confidently say, most of those things haven't happened. And I can also confidently say, I am thankful that they haven't.

I am silly and giggly and I act much like a five-year-old still. I know I can have a serious conversation or laugh at some fart joke. So I guess the maturity thing might reach me by the time I reach 1/2 a century old. As for the rest, I can't imagine being that person right now. My life has had many twists and turns, more ups than downs and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I have had the privilege to meet many people from coast to coast who inspire me to be a better version of myself and remind me of what truly matters. I have traveled to places I never thought imaginable. I have a loving and semi-strange family and a caring and humorous roommate. As well as some loyal and amazing friends from Washington (the state) to PA, to CT, to DC to NOLA. And I have found my calling within my vocation. I am blessed. I guess if these past 25 years have taught me anything, it's that blessings come in many forms and there are too many to count, if we choose to open our eyes to see them.

Some Thoughts/Words of Wisdom to my 5-Year-Old Self:
1) Never Stop Smiling
2) Love the ones You are With
3) When in Doubt, Wear the Onsie
4) Never Shy Away From an Adventure or a Chance to Learn
5) Be Kind to Your Siblings
6) Be Kind to Yourself
7) Never Let Anyone Cheapen You
8) Color Outside of the Lines Once in a While
9) Have Dance Parties as Often as Possible
10) Never Lose Sight of Your 5-Year-Old Self

My birthday party on Saturday is Kindergarten themed. I had the choice between doing a "Senior Citizen" party or a "Kindergarten" party and I think it's obvious why I chose the theme I did...I hope to never lose sight of my five-year-old self and I am excited to see what this new quarter century brings me.

For Your Viewing Pleasure:

(First Day of Kindergarten) 


No comments:

Post a Comment