Sunday, February 10, 2013

Valentine's Day: Not Just for Couples



It’s that time of year again; a time of loving, giving, forgiving, caring and sharing: it’s Valentine’s Day!

I am not a bitter, single lady nor have I ever been; but it does bother me a little that this wonderful holiday is usually reserved for those in romantic relationships.

I’m waiting for someone to call Hallmark or Lifetime and tell them: It’s a day of love…for everyone!

It’s a day of wonderful, beautiful, fantastic, LOVE and I think love is only wonderful when it’s shared with others; regardless of your relationship status. Love shared with mothers, fathers, grandmothers, grandfathers, store clerks, bus drivers, teachers, doctors, kids, garbage people and homeless people. Love that should be given to all. As much as my unicorn and rainbow coated world would like for mankind to love all year around, I realize the magnitude of that request and the near impossibility of it. So I may just have to settle for one day out of the year…and I choose the day already dedicated to love…Valentine’s Day.

I am reminded of my favorite Mother Teresa quote: “I have learned the paradox: If I love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.”

It helps to remind me that I may not know where to or who to direct my love at but as long as I’m doing it (loving) with the fullest of my being, without relationship status or boundaries, than there can be no more hurt…only love.

So for this Valentine’s Day, I want to spread love in every direction – friends, family, strangers, significant others, kids, the elderly, orange, brown, pink or blue – because this world needs less hurt and what better day to begin alleviating that hurt than on Valentine’s Day?

No comments:

Post a Comment