Friday, June 17, 2011

50 Days Left

Well, I just got an e-mail telling me that JVC is shortening my time in Bridgeport even more for the Pre-Orientation Retreat for second year volunteers. As it turns out, instead of leaving on Aug. 10th, I will now be leaving Aug. 7th, which means my last day of Summer Camp will be Aug. 5th. So crazy...

The last day of after school program was June 10th and that was sad. I came home and cried for a bit about it's end because most of the after school kids are not coming to summer camp so I will never see them again. I had one mom ask me when I was leaving and when I responded she told me that she'd enroll her daughter in the last week of summer camp just so we can hang out one last time. That was sweet...it's strange to think it's all coming to an end, very soon.

I ran in my first ever 5k on Sunday, which was fun. The first person we saw after finishing our race said, "there were kids that finished before you." Granted, the person was 7 or so, but still, it was such an encouraging comment...hahaha...we had fun and now I can say I've ran in a 5k.

Today was the last day of gym classes. I will be happy if I never have to teach another gym class in my life. I got really sentimental about it though because the kids reacted with such shock when my co-worker told them that I wasn't coming back in September. They said things like, "but you've been the best Gym Teacher ever" and "why do the good ones always have to go?" It made me happy but it made me sad as well. I hate that I'm only here for a short while. Seeing the kids off today was just another reminder of that fact.

Last night was our first ever Shehan Center staff softball game...it was so much fun. I looked at it as an opportunity to wear an awesome outfit so I wore my purple and yellow tye-dyed shirt, my bright purple shorts and my knee-high blue, yellow and green tye-dyed socks. My team decided to name ourselves Team Budlight, which was a definite "pick your battles" kind of a moment for me. I made contact with the ball every time but only got on the bases once. So my batting average was 1:5 (not so great). I miss team sports. We all had a blast and I got to know my co-workers better, which was the real purpose of the game for me! I love the staff at the Shehan Center. Everyone laughed, joked and had a good time and we made fun of each other; it was like one, big dysfunctional family. Steve was my team's captain and he always tried to give me a pep talk before I went up to bat, he was so nice to me and then he'd turn around and curse like a sailor...I love Steve, he's like the big brother I always wanted. It was great, even though we lost (16-14) and we all decided that we need to do it again SOON! So watch out, a professional Shehan team might be int he works soon!

Anywho, summer camp starts on June 27th so I have about a week more of running around with last minute planning and then chaos begins! :) I can't believe it's already summer, I can't believe we're already getting e-mails about JVC for next year and I can't believe my sister is getting married in 36 days! Ah! It's all happening so quickly and I hope I make it through to the other side all in one piece!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment