Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Small Things in Life

So JVC has definitely forced me to appreciate and see awesome-ness in the small things that I used to take for granted. These things range in size, in significance and in substance but I've discovered how much they mean to me or how much my day is improved because of them. Here are a few of them:

1. Music: I always appreciated music but even more so now that it's basically the only technology I have. More specifically, a certain song or lyric might relate 100% to my emotion in that moment and it could turn my entire day around. Even more specifically, I have taken to the musical stylings of Lil' Jon. His outlandish remarks and add ons to different songs just makes me smile and I would love to have him over for dinner sometime. So Lil' Jon, if you're reading this, contact me...you make me smile. Also, Selena Gomez, Lady Gaga's "The Edge of Glory" and any Glee song has brought multiple moments of fun to my life that have helped turn what could've been poopy days into better ones.

2. Random Youtube videos my co-workers make me watch about "America's Got Talent" contestants or the "We Are the World" music video or pictures of random tattoos online. They help break up the monotony of the day.

3. Text messages from family and friends that say little things like, "thinking of you" or "I saw this today and it made me think of you" help remind me that people love me as much as I love them.

4. Getting chased down the street by our neighborhood kids and having them open our car doors before we even turn off the engine. They always want to play with us and it can be annoying sometimes, but most of the time it helps make me smile and make me appreciate the young adults I had growing up, who I chased down the street, wanting them to play with me.

5. The down time I have with my co-workers where we laugh and joke around. Yesterday, we had 30 minutes until we had to leave and we played Hangman for most of it. Other days, we joke around in the front office about highly inappropriate things or we do impressions of each other. It's these little five minute interactions that may be overlooked at the end of my day that I need to concentrate on more.

6. A nice day, with a nice breeze and no plans. I haven't had very many of these days so when they come, I need to embrace and appreciate them more.

7. Getting free shirts from my work. I love that I get my wardrobe for free. I never have to shop again with all the free shirts I've gotten in various different colors.

8. Photos! I love any opportunity to take pictures or be silly in pictures. This year has helped me to appreciate pictures a ton because I've missed out on a lot of my family/friends' events and they have missed out on mine so pictures have been crucial in keeping us connected and they make me smile...a lot.

9. Craft projects and puzzles have been major exciting things in my life lately. Any excuse to glue, paint, tape, hammer or create anything and I am there. I find that I get more excited about going home when I know I have a project waiting for me when I get home.

10. The rare occasion I get to drive in a car by myself. I miss driving so when I get to do it, it's awesome but when I get to do it by myself, I get to belt out my favorite guilty pleasures and sing as boisterously as I want to. It's freeing and therapeutic for me and I used to get to do it all the time, but now it's a rare chance I have to do so.

So that's some of the things that I've taken joy from that I never truly appreciated before...the list is certainly not limited by these ten items...there are more, but who wants to read that? hahaha! Loves!

No comments:

Post a Comment