Thursday, January 20, 2011

So Much Sojo and Theological Reflection...

After a few snow/blizzard days off, my roommates and I headed to Re-Orientation in Dalton, Pennsylvania. It was five days of getting re-acquainted with people we hadn't seen in a while and five days of social justice (Sojo) talks. We learned about the Pastoral Circle which includes: Experience, Social Analysis, Theological Reflection, Discernment and Action. These are the steps one takes when looking closely at sojo issues.

The step that resonated the most with me was Theological Reflection. I have socially analyzed the structures in place that keep the poor and marginalized in "their place" and I have discerned multiple times about various different things in my life, but I have rarely theologically reflected on my experiences and social structures in our country. Re-Orientation gave me the opportunity to do a lot of journaling and reflecting and one speaker gave me countless ways to practice reflecting on my experiences. It's a mix of thinking with your head and your heart, but mainly focusing on what comes from your heart. It's about taking your experiences, your thoughts on the social structures and your confusion to God to help you sort it out. I looked up a definition online and this is what it said:

"Theological Reflection: 'When we come to ask what it means to our faith to evaluate this situation and what is really most at stake in this situation, we can be guided by the church's social teaching about human dignity and solidarity. Every person is made in the image of God. Dignity is not earned; it is a gift.' (23) Key to this dimension of the pastoral circle is the Bible."

With that said, I have taken my spirituality and my nightly reflections a step further. I'm not one for New Years Resolutions but this is a goal I would love to live out for the entirety of 2011...wanna know what it is? Ok...so my nightly reflections usually consist of me reading this little book called, "Every Day is a Gift: A Book of Daily Reflections and Prayers". Each day, this little book has a Bible passage, reflection from a saint and a prayer to read. They're usually only a paragraph long and not very demanding, but great thoughts to think of before bed...so I decided after Re-Orientation to take this a step further. For every little paragraph I read in my little book, I have dedicated myself to reading the given Bible passage in its entirety...the entire chapter. Last night's was John chapter 6. I feel it's a great way to get to know my Bible better and to expand on the baby reading my book gives me. I then, reflect on the chapter and apply it to my life in my journal.

We will see how long I can do this for, but I feel confident in my abilities because it's not too ambitious of an idea and I really want to expand on my spirituality while I have the time to develop good habits!!! That's my thought of the day...I'm glad to be back at the Shehan Center after taking a week off, I missed my kids. I hope everyone has a great Thursday!!! Loves!

No comments:

Post a Comment