Friday, August 27, 2010

An Eventful First Week

Alright, so I can't write for long because someone just walked into my office with another tiny project for me to work on...ugh.

BUT! The most exciting/life-changing thing that happened this week was when, stupid, naive, lil' ol' me decided to walk home from work on Wednesday. As I headed east on Washington St. I was hooted at, hollared at and generally verbally assaulted by many males. DUMB KATIE! I was the only white person walking on the street, let alone the only female to be walking alone! I'm an idiot but I also gained a lot of "street" information from it...it's a learning experience (as I told my boss). I thought, "well, I'm scared to walk in this neighborhood...imagine what my students are going to be feeling...they LIVE here." It was a realization that I definitely needed to learn on my own. I have never felt so scared or so isolated for my skin color or gender before...I'm not in Washington anymore, Toto. Anywho, more to follow but I got to go.

Loves!

No comments:

Post a Comment