Friday, November 19, 2010

Parents...

Some have two, some have one, some have step, some have none...hahaha I rhymed. I've been so blessed to have two amazing parents. Although I've recognized the degree of their awesome-ness prior to my JVC experience, this reality has been presented to me time and time again in the past three months. I talk to them at least twice a week and whenever I need a "pick-me-up". They always have the best words of wisdom and guiding point of view that never tells me what I need to do or should do in any given situation.

For anyone who has met my mama, she is sweet, has a heart of gold, one of my friends says she needs to be canonized and all these amazing qualities are packed tightly into her 4' 8" frame. She is silly, as am I and she gets excited over the tiniest things, as do I. She looks out for everyone else before herself and even sacrifices her own comfort, wants or needs for others. I love her.

For anyone who has met my papa, you know he tells the corniest jokes, he's a softy deep down inside and has a passion for trivia, history, music and Broadway. He can be silly and his most infamous corny joke is whenever we pass a cemetery, he says, "people are dying to get in there." He's wonderful with children and loves helping anyone out when he can.

I believe God made my parents for each other because they compliment each other so well. They met when they were older and had my sister, brother and myself at an older age. I've always been the one who had "older parents" but I have loved every moment of it. Their old fashioned ways, combined with the attitude that in the end their three children make their own decisions made growing up wonderful, yet challenging.

For my birthday, my mama and papa sent me a box. Within this box came the following: two pairs of Christmas socks, one pack of regular socks, two pairs of pajamas (one, with dogs wearing reindeer antlers and one with sleeping sheep on them), some candy and a book entitled: "The Story of a Soul: St. Terese of Lisieux". This just epitomizes their quirkiness!

In addition, I keep no secret that my papa is not Catholic but my mama is. Last night my papa called me with a funny story. My parents have team taught Religious Education for at least 15 years and they have continued to teach it in Boise. On Tuesday my dad was pulled away from his classroom with my mom to help out the 2nd grade class learn about Reconciliation. My dad was asked to play the role of a priest in the mock reconciliation practice the 2nd graders were doing...when my dad was telling me this I couldn't help but bust a gut laughing...this story just shows how much love and support is obviously apparent in my parents' relationship. They've been married almost 30 years and dad has never become Catholic and in one night, he became a priest for a night! :)

I love my parents and am so thankful for the blessing that I have been given...thanks Mama and Papa Conway for being phenomenal examples and for being phenomenal human beings! I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment