Friday, November 12, 2010

Reflections on Turning 23

Groggily stretching my arms toward the ceiling and looking out the window with a huge smile on my face as the sun beams in through my window: today is unlike any other day; today I turn 23 for the first and last time ever. It's not very difficult to get myself out of bed because I know a warm shower and bright smiles are awaiting my arrival!

After getting ready for the day, I walk downstairs to find a sweet aroma in the air and a very busy roommate bustling around our kitchen. A big plate of butterscotch and chocolate pancakes were waiting for me with my morning coffee already poured and my lunch already made. "Good morning, birthday girl!" my roommate said. They had decorated the skeleton that was still up from Halloween with paper balloons and a party hat...what a good way to get the day started!

When I stepped into work, my boss had a sash in her hand that read, "Birthday Princess" that she insisted I wear for the entire day...so I did. The art teacher was absent that day so I volunteered to be the art teacher for the day. Throughout the day I got many hugs, happy birthday wishes and bright smiles, excited for my birthday. It helped mask the few kids that shuttered at the age I told them I was turning...23 just seems so old to a child.

At around 3pm, I looked around and the entire place was deserted...no kids in sight. So I decided to go upstairs and see what was keeping my kids. When I got to the gym, 200 kids were sitting on the gym floor and one of the councilors counted them off as they began singing, "Happy Birthday" to me...it was such a surprise and awesome moment. Following the song, kids came up to me and hugged me and my supervisor led me into the kitchen and showed me the huge cake they got for me with birthday cards anxiously awaiting my arrival. My co-workers proceeded to smear cake/icing all over my face and take pictures of the entire ordeal. It was a good time at work.

When I got home, my roommates had made me Mexican food with guacamole!!! I LOVE Mexican food!!! and had made me a cake and had gotten me a gift with a card. They thought of everything...it was very sweet. All in all, it was a wonderful birthday...

Reflections on Turning 23: I'm only as old as I believe myself to be...which is 8 by the way...I have a wonderful group of people from coast to coast who love me...I am so lucky to have the privileges I do to experience everything I am a part of right now...and as my dad said, "when will you ever again have 200 kids singing to you? Time and place is everything and if you never signed up for JVC, you probably wouldn't be where you are...with 200 kids, loving you on your special day." Timing and place is everything and I am so excited to see what path God has in store for me for the next 80 years!!!

***And the fun is just beginning...my roommates are taking me to NYC tonight for my birthday! I'm finally going to get to dance my heart out!!!***

Thanks to everyone for such a blessed and wonderful birthday. I actually cried yesterday because I was so touched...thank you and I love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment