Wednesday, February 16, 2011

All You Need is Love

Happy post-Valentine's Day everyone! We've reached the half-way point in my JVC year...and what could possibly be a better theme for a post than LOVE???

During the past six months, I have felt challenged in many, many ways. I have felt challenged in my spirituality, my values and in my optimism. I have seen kids' pain and at times I have felt helpless in aiding my kids. The one constant, through everything, has been love. I talked a little bit about it in a speech I gave at Re-Orientation last month so I might be wearing out the topic, but it's Valentine's Day so it seems appropriate.

I was asked the question last night: "How do you remain hopeful in hopeless situations?" This is a tough, tough question to answer and I feel like it is the underlying theme of the entire six months I've spent with JVC this year. Part of my answer would have to rely on faith. I have a strong faith that God has put me here, in Bridgeport, for a specific purpose. If that purpose in my full year of service is to spend just one day making someone feel better than the rest of the 364 days are well worth that one day. My faith in God and His time and His plan helps me to see past the pain, the sadness, the loneliness and look to something bigger. Secondly, I believe in love. I believe that if I love a person long and hard enough than it will somehow, some way, help in whatever way. I know when I feel the most down, the most helpless and the most lonely, the love my kids give me, gives me hope.

On Valentine's Day, before 2:30pm, I had a pretty average day. Then, at 3pm, my kids came busting through our front doors, hopped up on sugar, and many of them asked if I'd be their Valentine. They fought each other to be my Valentine and shoved hand made cards and notes into my hands. They made me feel so loved...that feeling has carried me through the week. Their love has carried me through to today (and hopefully tomorrow too). It's faith and love that give me hope in hopeless situations; it's the faith and love my kids have for me that give me hope. As my friend said in his speech at Re-O last month, "love has ruined us for life" and I can't help but agree with him. Happy Love Day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment