Thursday, November 10, 2011

There is a life line come to the rescue, Just like a hand that's waiting for you. And if you believe in this I promise that you won't be alone.

Song lyrics (in blog title) taken from "There is a Way" by NewWorldSon.

Side-note: Has anyone ever noticed how attractive Travie McCoy is? I was watching some music videos after work yesterday and decided to watch "Stereo Hearts" video...it's good, by the way...BUT I couldn't help but notice how attractive Travie McCoy is...he's fine! Goggle the music video if you don't believe me. But objectifications put aside, his music is great too. SO onto what I am grateful for this week:

*Wednesday, Nov. 9th, 2011: Today I am thankful for the task I have been bestowed: calling seniors within Ward 2 to see if they would be interested in receiving a FREE Thanksgiving meal and Christmas gift this year. I have my script in hand, ready to call the 150 phone numbers I have on my list and one by one, senior after senior, breaks my heart. Each one, with a gracious heart and a thankful soul. Each one so incredibly grateful for the small thing Emmaus was providing for them. Then I called, *Ms. Harriet. She answered the phone and I could hear the fragility in her voice. She said, "hello, baby girl, how are you?" I responded appropriately and went into my script. At the end of the entire thing, after she told me what she wanted for Christmas, her voice began to break up. What once was fragile was now fighting back tears. She said, "I just want you to know that if there's anything I can do for you, you just let me know. I mean, my legs don't work anymore, but my prayers still do." My heart melted and then there were two women fighting to hold back tears on the phone. I have been waiting since August 5th to feel broken again. I have been waiting since August 5th to feel like I'm making a difference and today I did. Today Ms. Harriet and I shared something that I hope I never forget.

*Thursday, Nov. 10th, 2011: Today I am thankful for God. I truly having been feeling His presence lately. I have no idea where this sudden spark of positivity and optimism came from so I have to toss it up to the Big Guy for credit. I look forward to going to work now. I look forward to speaking with my seniors and they look forward to seeing me too. I am realizing that I do have gifts and talents to bring to this agency and my year is not a waste and I can only thank God for that gift. Today we played Bingo and had a great time. Then, one of the seniors made banana pudding for my birthday and it was TO DIE FOR. It was so good. She and I chuckled about how I wanted to steal the recipe from her and she said she was taking it to the grave with her. Such a sweet lady. God has graced my life and has stepped in, in a really big way lately, and I am so thankful for that.

*Friday, Nov. 11th, 2011: MY BIRTH-DAY!!! This is an easy one today, I am grateful for my parents. If it weren't for them, I wouldn't be here. I have now lived for 24 years; which I have a harder time believing that my parents had me 24 years ago rather than believing that I've had 24 years of life already. But anywho, I digress. I am grateful for my parents in all the little and big ways that they work themselves into my life. From calming me down or "talking me out of a tree", as my dad likes to say, to offering up advice, love and compassion, to just joking around with me or sending me a note in the mail to tell me they are thinking of me. They have shown me what love looks like, feels like, sounds like and what the essence of love truly is. I am equal parts them. My roommate last year said, "you look just like your dad and have the mannerisms of your mom." I feel like every "good" thing about me is directly taken from who they are and what they taught me in these 24 years of life. I am thankful for them and am so incredibly blessed for having them in my life and grateful to them for creating it as well.

***Names ave been changed for obvious reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment