Friday, November 18, 2011

This one's for you and me, living out our dreams. We're all right where we should be.

***Song lyrics (in blog title) from "Lighters" by Bruno Mars feat. Eminem

*Thursday, Nov. 17, 2011: I am sick...it's not a fun cold either...although not many are but the good in today was getting time to take care of myself. I woke up at 7am and felt like poop, so I took a shower with the hopes that I'd feel better afterward...no such luck. So I called into work and told them that I was coming in late so I could rest up. I made it into work at 11am and they told me to go home but I didn't because my JVC supervisor was visiting that day so I had to stay...plus I had TONS of -ish to get done. So I met with my JVC guy, my Executive Director and gave my JVC dude a tour. At around 2pm he left and at 3pm my co-workers forced me to go home. I slept from 3:30pm until 7:30pm and could've slept longer. My community mate came in and started taking care of me with drugs, water and asking how I was feeling. When I made my way downstairs for community dinner, she served me food and kept taking care of me...I was totally out of it. BUT the highlight of the night besides having community members who cared for me; was the meeting we had with our JVC supervisor. He detailed things we need to work on, opened the floor for comments and differing perspectives and just created a positive space for us to communicate and we talked about a lot of really great things and I feel so good about my community now. It's really good. So although I feel like poop; my heart feels full and healthy (quite the opposite of poop, actually). I am thankful for my JVC supervisor's visit with us this week.

*Friday, Nov. 18, 2011: Today I am grateful the project my agency has plopped in my lap and a certain social worker who has given me perspective. I got off the phone with a social worker today and she and I have been calling each other back and forth for a while and she ended this most recent conversation with, "aren't you lucky? You get to play Santa this year!" That perspective made me proud, happy and just excited. I get to play Santa and offer something which may seem minute and small to me, to these homebound seniors who really have nothing else during these holidays it means the world to them. I get to play Santa this holiday season, and that's a perspective I never thought of...I had been looking at the names and making my list (and checking it twice) purely to reach our goal number of seniors, not really taking stalk in the fact that me playing Santa to them will help make the holidays better and less lonely for them. I am grateful for that social worker today.

No comments:

Post a Comment