Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Laboring Over the Weekend...

Alright, so it's been almost a week...sorry. Whelp, I had an eventful weekend! I can not only color in two more states on my U.S. map as places I've been to, but I can also say that I have bonded with and gotten to know more of the JV community.

So on Friday, I went to the Archdiocese of Bridgeport and got addition training on how to not touch children and the warning signs of abuse and that kinda stuff. That was interesting...on the way home I was introduced to the Dunken' Doughnuts Coolata (sp?) which is essentially a coffee milkshake (so good). They are crazy about Dunken' Doughnuts here...it's crazy.

Then, Friday night we decided to watch Precious...it was really good, really insane, really honest and raw. I highly recommend that movie for anyone. It's intense though, keep that in mind when you watch it.

On Saturday my roommates and I set out on our big adventure to Baltimore for the Labor Day party they were throwing. Five hours and four states later, we were in Baltimore. We stopped at a rest stop before hand to "primp" and change into our party outfits...hahaha. I borrowed a dress from my roommate, Melissa and it was a size XS so can we just marvel in the fact that I fit into an XS?!?!?!

Anywho, we arrived at around 7:30pm to a house full of slightly intoxicated people. The house was really cool and our hosts were very welcoming. (Thanks Baltimore for a great party). They had gotten three kegs (ridiculous!). I, of course, brought wine for myself because as my friend Stan likes to say, "I am a Wine-O." hahaha. I got to talk with a mutual friend of my brother and me, Sean (shout out to Sean Baird) and it was nice to talk about the differences we were finding between the east coast and the west coast and remember the good ol' days of Washington...hahaha. Then, I got to have a little dance time with my roomies and then I got to talking with more people; ya'll know how much I love to talk!

My roommates left at around 10:30pm and I wasn't too ready to leave yet so they said they'd come back and get me around midnight. Around midnight, I got a text saying that they couldn't come get me (which I was very proud of myself because I didn't panic). They were in a sticky situation so I totally understood but I had to come up with a makeshift way to keep my contacts (red party cups and random solution someone gave me, thanks Kate). But it all worked out...it was a good time.

On the way back, we spent a little time in Baltimore, I got a Maryland magnet to add to my collection and I tried cheesecake from the Cheesecake factory for the first time (it was divine). It was a fun weekend. We went to Mass at Fairfield University, which was interesting. They clapped during the Alleluia and had a drum set in the choir. As Alie said, "it was very Jesuit-y". :) It was just different, not bad at all...just different. I do miss Fr. Qui-Thac's homilies and funny anecdotes and I miss the entertaining announcements at our Mass but that was a different time and it's time for me to move on I guess.

On Sunday, I got to talk with Kelsey, a friend from home, and it was great. I've been putting off calling people because I'm afraid I'll get too homesick if I talk to people; I feel like I have to recover every time I talk to my parents as it is because they make me miss home so I'm sorry for not calling, friends...I'm building myself up for it, promise.

I had Monday off and it was fun to relax (I did Yoga for the first time, very relaxing). After Yoga I went grocery shopping with my roommates so relaxation would have been better served after shopping, hahaha. Also, Alie's brother and dad came through Bridgeport and we got to meet/hang out with them. It was really neat...I love seeing people's roots. Anywho, I have definitely written far too much now so I will stop here and say, here comes week number three of work! Whoot!

~Katie~

2 comments:

  1. Good to chat with you in Baltimore and get to know you a little. So you got the Maryland magnet, huh? I can't remember if you said this or not, but do you get them in the shape of the state as well? I always try to do that when I purchase magnets from other states. You may find that you visit so many states this year it's hard to collect magnets from them all while on a "stipe."

    Good to see that you have a blog. I will have to check this regularly. I just started my own so now I am all excited about blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am collecting one from every state and unfortunately, I didn't think ahead of time about the shape of them so I ended up just choosing magnets that were 1) cheap and 2) pretty. They're only costing about $3 so I think I can do it. It's sad because I have yet to get a CT one...I guess I want to make sure it's an awesome magnet; too much pressure! :) I'll check out your blog too!

    ReplyDelete