Thursday, September 9, 2010

Preparation, Preparation, Patience...

Patience with the Program: So far, the Shehan Center has been without children and without much excitement. I have gotten to know my co-workers pretty well and I like them. I love the environment and I feel like I fit in pretty well, but I will be very happy when I hear the pitter patter of little and big feet on our gym floor Monday morning!

Preparation: I found out I'll be teaching P.E. to 5-8th grade girls, both genders of 2nd and 3rd grade and, my favorite, KINDERGARTEN!!! I'm so excited to meet my "students" and begin this year-long relationship with them! Even though I have no clue or training in the field of P.E. I am optimistic because my support here is great and my mom sent me a 35 year old book she used in the early 80's to teach P.E. Armed with that and a pretty vivid imagination, I think I'll survive!

Patience with Myself:Tuesday, Melissa led us in Spirituality night. It was just what I needed - she led us in the Examine. It was very calming and relaxing and just what I needed to set my head straight again. I've been doing Yoga with Alie this week and, although I am about as flexible as a rock, it has been relaxing as well.

Preparation: In addition, after the little disappointment of discovering that I couldn't help with the religious ed. classes or youth group at St. Ann's, I decided that I need an outlet. I need a regularly scheduled activity with just me...with that said, I'm thinking of joining the St. Ann's Choir. I sang back home in our Newman choir so it wouldn't be a stretch for me...and I love to sing. As Alie said, "I've never met someone who sings so much!" :)

Patience with Myself/My Community/Life: I called my mom two nights ago and just began crying...I felt like such a sissy; but I started crying about how I haven't had a hug in a month and how I haven't been able to connect with my friends and I just wailed to her about everything...it was like the flood gates just opened. At one point, once the laundry list of complaints was finished, I said, "what the heck is wrong with me, this isn't me." My mom lightly laughed and said, "honey, you're homesick." I'm homesick...I didn't think it would happen so soon...I was never really homesick in college and I only would see my parents maybe twice a year then...ugh. I'm a pansy...hahahaha...my mother is a saint, she knows exactly what to say, how to say it and when to say it. If I talk more about my mom, not only will I be crying but it deserves its own post entirely.

So I guess this week is about patience and preparation for meeting my own goals and living up to the standard God keeps pushing me toward...I am a work in progress, this experience is a work in progress and my instant gratification attitude should calm itself down. God bless and as always, loves!!!

~Katie~

1 comment: