Tuesday, September 28, 2010

What Warms My Heart

Writing for writings sake...

Where do/can I begin? I am enjoying every moment I have with my kids. Sometimes the 7th-8th graders can be pains in the butt, but I feel so much love, joy and strength from the kids I "serve". They give me hope, they give me love, they give me strength to keep pushing through all the crap.

I am struggling with Bridgeport. I am struggling with JVC. I didn't come into this experience with a gaggle of expectations because expectations usually give way to disappointment. I did however come in with certain ideas on how to challenge myself. I knew I would love simple living...I love budgeting and pinching pennies...I'm odd. I love serving and loving. I knew these would be minor challenges for me so I figured I'd challenge myself with my spirituality/prayer life and even the attitude I bring to the social justice life. I knew there would be hiccups along the way, but I didn't think I'd be challenged in the ways I have felt challenged these past three weeks.

Community is tougher than I thought...for some reason or the other I am having a hard time being myself. My roommates are not to blame...it's me. For some reason I feel constricted in my behavior/actions. I feel like my "sense of humor" that everyone loves so much back home is lost here and my kind heart is being masked by a firm exterior that plainly isn't me. I'm not exactly sure how to remedy this situation and I realize that part of the problem is my need for instant gratification, but I do feel like the only time I feel comfortable is when I am around kids ages 5-10 years old. I feel in my element during that time and I feel blessed to have them in my life...they need me and I need them. I love them...

That was just my thoughts at this very moment...moving on to what I've been up to:

We had Fr. Mark come over to discuss Ignatius Spirituality on Wednesday, had dinner and a community activity with John and Sara (our support people) on Thursday (they made the BEST Mexican food), went out to dinner with Katie's parents on Friday and went to Manhattan on Saturday. It was a jam-packed week...but well worth it. It was great. Manhattan is crazy big...it's insane. People can't drive very well and the pedestrians are crazy. We went to Manhattan conveniently at the same time as the Italian Festival. We went through little Italy and there were so many Guidos/Guidettes! It was hilarious...we had the best Italian food and enjoyed the sites of Soho. I got the chance to visit Central Park (awesome) and go to the fountain that Carrie goes to multiple times on Sex and the City/it's been in a ton of movies. It's beautiful. Central Park is lovely...it's great. I've decided that NYC is nice to visit but I could never live there...I'm too country, I love trees too much...hahaha.

Anywho, that's it from my neck of the woods...off to look at a grant and then play with my little blessings in disguise at 2pm. Loves!

No comments:

Post a Comment