Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Revelations and Thoughts (mid-week update)

So I've never worked with urban youth before...I've never been around more than three "urban youth" at one time so I'm trying to prepare myself for the year to come...my kids get here on the 13th and I begin teaching P.E. on that day as well...it's a thought that sits in my mind as that date draws closer and closer (I have limited experience).

Well, I've already gotten the following nicknames at work: sista, baby gurl, sweetie, singin' lady, Washington, gurl, ghetto-ized gurl, Virgin ears, JVC gurl, R & B gurl and that's it so far...each name comes with a funny instance or story and an equally awesome "namer" attached to it. I feel at home at work; everyone likes me and although I don't have anywhere near the same backgrounds as some, we are developing a strong family bond.

Carl, so far, is my favorite...giving him a run for his money is a staff member named, Mr. T, but Carl is awesome. He's really tall, skinny and about 40. He's the basketball coach and all around awesome guy to hang with. He's the contributor to a majority of the nicknames listed above...he's hilarious. He's always asking me to bring him breakfast and he says things like, "nice to see you're not allergic to black people." He just left my office and so I guess he's my inspiration for this post...he's worked his way up to the position he has right now at the Shehan Center...he's an all around awesome guy who makes me laugh and eases the tension in the room. He makes fun of me when I'm being a sheltered white girl from WA and he encourages me when my (as he puts it) inner black gurl comes out. He's great...

I like it here...I miss home...and my friends/family but it's good here. Loves for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment