Tuesday, December 7, 2010

We The People

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

This past weekend, my roommates and I traveled down to Philadelphia for the JVC Christmas party and to see the sites. We visited the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Love Park, City Hall and the Reading Train Station. The entire weekend filled me with American pride; you can't help but feel patriotic while in that city.

While at Independence Hall, we went through the tour that explained how the Constitution was agreed or disagreed on and the process of signing the U.S. Constitution.

At one point, our tour guide quoted the Constitution when she said, "The Constitution was the first U.S. document where all parties agreed that religion had no place in politics. They had seen the downfall of that type of government in England and believed that religion was personal, between you and God. Therefore, they all agreed that Church and State affairs were separate ordeals and in 1791 the first amendment was written: 'Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.'"

It got me to thinking about the ideals of our founding fathers and the ideals of our current officials. It seems to me, that religion is more apparent now in our society than I can ever remember it being in the past. People use religion to fight wars, to isolate others, to declare superiority and so on. It's saddens me to think that we've strayed so far from the original purpose of the Constitution...Independence, freedom and equal rights for all; regardless of your religion, gender, sexual orientation, color, ability or age. I couldn't help but listen to our tour guide and question the "progression" of my government.

It was great to see where my country started, to see where all the business of government went down and to recognize the initial stages of my country but I can't help but wonder if we are still 'establishing justice', 'insuring domestic tranquility' or even 'promoting general welfare' for all currently. Are we maintaining these ideals that made us unique? Are we thinking as a 'we' still or has it become a 'me' kind of country? I love my country, I just wonder if the founding fathers would recognize the government it first started so many years ago.

1 comment:

  1. When I was living in Camden, whenever I got gloomy about the state of the world, or the people around me (which was pretty often), I would trot over the bridge to Philly just to take in the history.

    The things that our founding fathers accomplished, especially in light of their historical context, were extraordinary. Going there always restored my faith in humanity.

    ReplyDelete