Thursday, December 30, 2010

Five Month Mark

Social Justice: I feel I have gained so much from my placement that it almost doesn’t seem fair to say that I am “helping” the center I work at.

In Bridgeport, poverty is in the center of a circle of wealth and anyone from Bridgeport is well aware of that fact. Surrounding cities like Fairfield, Trumbull and Orange are all very wealthy and Bridgeport’s income simply pales in comparison. The “urban youth” I work with are the result of years of surrounding cities, and government, turning their heads to the inner city problems Bridgeport has. My kids come into the center hungry because their parents can’t afford to make lunch for them, my kids come in with torn or dirty clothes and more importantly, my kids come into the center with chips on their shoulders the size of Connecticut. I have gained an appreciation for my upbringing, my “privilege”, and I have gained a respect for these kids who are brought up in an environment that is lacking in so many ways.

The insight my agency has given me can be summed up in the pride I have in my kids. Through everything, they are still good, deep down they are still good and they want to prove society wrong. They want someone to believe in them and someone to pay attention to the good things they are doing, not just the negative. Although these kids can be frustrating and the staff can be difficult to work with at times, I have felt myself grow into a better-rounded and enlightened person. Through each frustration and each child that tries my patience, I have found even grater opportunities to be strong and love them anyway. My placement has made me the proud adoptive parent of 100 kids who look to me for love, for discipline and for respect. I try every day to give them those things because basic human dignity is all they ask for. My placement has exposed me to a population I wouldn’t have worked with otherwise, has given me the backbone to stand up for misunderstood kids and has opened my eyes to the importance of human dignity for all, not just the wealthy and not just adults.

At the five month mark, I ask myself 1) Where did the time go? and 2) What keeps me coming to work? I am motivated by the nay-sayers; the people who look the other way when we try to raise money for our kids or the politicians that choose to sweep Bridgeport under the rug because it's just easier to do that than address the issues head on. But mostly, I keep going because I have over 100 children now who look to me for love; they look to me to be their friend and the person who will listen to their very pointless stories or tattle-taling remarks. They look to me to be the person who's not afraid to be goofy and not afraid to be genuine with them. God continues to give me the strength I need to give my kids these things every day; I just pray that He gives the politicians and society in general the strength to advocate for my kids, because they need it and so do I.


No comments:

Post a Comment