Thursday, December 2, 2010

Tis the Season...

I was speaking with a co-worker about Christmas and "the season of giving" today and she brought something to my attention that I had never considered or thought of before now.

Our economy is in a recession, you'd have to be living under a rock to not be aware of this fact and my co-worker was relaying the difficulty her husband and her were having in getting gifts for their 9-year-old and 4-year-old. She said they had been dropping hints to their 9-year-old like, "you know, we're in a recession and Santa may not be able to give you what you want for Christmas this year." Their 9-year-old would respond with, "I know, mom, that's why I put things on the list like a diamond necklace for my mom and a new car for my dad. Santa can do anything...he pays his elves in hot chocolate so don't worry, mom, the recession won't bother him." This brought up a sad truth: how do you tell a 9-year-old that Santa won't be able to get him things this Christmas, how do you tell a 9-year-old that Santa can't do anything without bursting his bubble?

JVC has given me an easy out for Christmas this year. I have no money (literally) so I can tell people, sorry, I can't get you anything this year and they understand. But what if you don't have an easy out? What if you're limited in what you can give and have to tell your 9-year-old and face his disappointment?

Christmas is the season of giving, hence I love the season so much. It is a time to be grateful for what have but what if you can only dwell on what you don't have? There are so many who can barely afford to have a nice meal for Christmas, not to mention afford gifts from Santa. I hate to see the Christmas spirit die out and I hate even more to see kids not able to feel the magic of Santa. My co-worker said she explained to her 9-year-old that what's important is that they are all together during the season, but when you're nine, does that really matter much?

I guess all I wanted to convey was this story, and hope that those of you who do read this and can give, give to a toy drive or donate to the wonderful people ringing the bells for the Salvation Army; or if you can't give, remember what the season is for: to love what or who you have, hold them close and thank God for the blessings He has given you this year. Try to keep the Christmas magic alive even if the recession is bogging you down. God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment