Monday, August 22, 2011

Closing One Chapter...Writing Another...

Alright, well I can't promise that this post is going to cover everything because my mind is so jumbled right now that I don't know where to begin. BUT...I returned from my sister's wedding and Dis-Orientation for my last week of work in Bridgeport. Each day was a little sad because I kept thinking: "well, today is my last Monday." and "well, today is my last Tuesday." etc. But it was such a fantastic week of love and laughter. My last Tuesday at work was also my last field trip, which was a blasty blast! I got to go to the little kid water park with my favorite age group: 4-7 year olds. We had a lot of fun riding rides and getting soaked.

My kids reminded me of everything that is wonderful in our world...they helped me to see that out of the mud can come something beautiful. Because even though people just drive through Bridgeport and the entire state of Connecticut just overlooks the people scrambling to pick up the pieces in Bridgeport, these kids still had the capacity to love. I am so grateful to them and to my staff for showing me that where there is someone willing to love, there will always be someone wanting that love.

My roommates and I had our "last supper" of sorts on Wednesday night. We went out to Sushi and had some wine. When we returned home, we drank more wine and performed our own episode of "Drunk Cooking". It was really funny, even though the pancakes tasted like poop! Then we watched an episode of "Friends" and pulled our mattresses into the family room to do a sleep over. It was a good way to spend our last intentional time together.

Friday was a rough day. I had to excuse myself to my office multiple times because it was so rough. But the kids kept smiling at me and hugging me. During our awards ceremony at like 2pm, my supervisor called me down in front of 250 kids, plus their parents and thanked me for all I had done this year. She handed me a card and then the staff started egging me on to give a speech...I caved and gave a speech through tears and blubbering words. Then, at like 4pm, I was called into the kitchen, which I could've sworn was their opportunity to throw me in the pool, but they didn't. When I got to the kitchen, a cake and the entire staff was there. They sang and clapped and gave me another card and I looked over at my bestest staff friend, Terrell, and began crying. I've never felt that kind of pain before. Having the self-awareness enough to recognize that I would never get to have this year ever again...that this year was special and could never be duplicated...that fact broke my heart.

I left Bridgeport on Saturday, kicking and screaming and Alie drove me to Pre-Orientation. It was another difficult goodbye but she dropped me off, hugged me and she finally cried!!! Alie cried!!! It took all year for her to cry and she finally did!!! hahaha...

Anywho, I got to meet all my new housemates and learn about their placements. I live with four incredible women: Brittney was in Raleigh, NC last year; Bridget was in Juneau, AK last year; Colleen was in East LA last year and Cara was in Houston, TX last year. We each are doing a second year and we each have a passion for the year to come (which is so cool).

I want to explain how Orientation went and getting moved into DC but it's so scrambled at this point that it all seems like a blur to me. I guess at another point in time, I can address the transition because I'm still in the processing period of this experience. I guess I will leave you on this note: I started my first day today, had incredible social justice talks with a few elderly people I ran into today and am thinking I might just be able to love entirely and completely for another year. I'll keep you posted though...

No comments:

Post a Comment