Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Opportunities to Develop a New Passion

The transition has been an interesting one. I have been less than willing to look to the future and devote time and love to my current year of service...you could say that I'm stuck in the past. So going from Orientation to DC was interesting. I felt like we were on the go-go-go for so long that when work started on Monday, I couldn't believe I was in DC, at a job that was completely out of my comfort zone.

As all of you know, last year I dedicated my life to an incredible after-school program and summer camp program with incredible kids. I love and miss them dearly. I got so much joy from that job.

This year, I decided...this is important...I CHOSE to work with a different population because I know I'm going to spend the rest of my life dedicated to children. So I interviewed with three different agencies: Miriam's Kitchen (a soup kitchen/homeless case worker position), The Campaign for Youth Justice (an advocate for youth that have received life sentences) and Emmaus Services for the Aging (advocate for the elderly). I was placed with Emmaus.

I am excited to see where this path takes me, although I am concerned that I will be stumbling along the way because I have no clue how to even begin advocating for the elderly...I don't even know what issues the elderly are facing...so I'm excited to learn.

My first day was Monday and my boss decided to take me around to the different partner agencies Emmaus works with. We went to a homeless shelter and two apartment complexes designed for those 55 and older. At these places, we advertised an assessment that the District of Columbia is holding for the elderly to voice their concerns, opinions and thoughts about what they need from DC to better their lives. I had no idea how much hostility I would be met with. Many told me that they've tried to voice their opinions before and no one did anything for them so they were tired of trying. A few told me that I took their jobs and that's why they don't want to mess with anything I'd have to say. Some just were so fed up with all the bullsh*t that they vented to me about all the issues with affordable housing, job security, self-worth, value, the conditions of the facilities they live in, etc.

This was my learning experience. They ranted, vented, spilled their guts to me and I didn't know how to respond except by saying, I'm so sorry and I'm going to try my hardest to see what I can do; I appreciate your honesty. So I had a crash course in what the elderly are needing...I got thrown in there and I laugh because now I know...and I learned within the first two hours of being at Emmaus. God works in mysterious ways...hahaha...well, that's it for now. Loves!

No comments:

Post a Comment