Monday, December 12, 2011

"And I'll take with me the memories...It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday."

***Song (in blog title) taken from "It's So Hard to Say Goodbye to Yesterday" by Boys 2 Men.

*Saturday, Dec. 10th, 2011: So much to be excited and grateful for today! Colleen, our friend, Ben, and I made our way up to Philly last night and spent the entire weekend tearing up the city of Philly. I had a blast today with Colleen, Ben, some FJVs and the Portland JVs as we climbed the Rocky steps, explored "Love Park", took sneaky pictures with black Santa and ate Philly Cheese steaks. I got to spend about an hour with my friend from college who I haven't seen in two years and that was amazing...just brought back old feelings and memories. Then, Colleen and I snuggled up and took a nap back at the apartment we were crashing at. THEN we made our way to the Philly JV party and that was a blasty blast for sure. Alie (my community mate from last year and the renter of the apartment we were crashing in) came and we got to hang out and laugh and just love up on each other...I realized in that time just how much I miss her. The party was a lot of fun...we got to see quite a number of the current JVs and that was a nice reunion. Today was a great day so I guess I am grateful for silliness, walking around Philly as tourists in a big group, funky dance moves and good friends.



*Sunday, Dec. 11th, 2011: Today I am grateful for road trips because most of the day was spent driving back to DC! We all jammed into the car and played silly 90's songs that took us back to our middle/junior high school days and then we found the epic song, "Show Me Your Bootyhole" (by Saosin --- Google it) on Ben's iPod and decided to take a gander at the magnificence of its lyricism. SO FUNNY! We were all so sleep deprived that it made for a wonderful road trip back to DC and I am grateful for Ben (for schlepping us around the entire weekend) and to my roadies (Colleen, Julie and Andy). We had a lot of senseless fun and I am grateful for that.

*Monday, Dec. 12th, 2011 Part 1: So it's my blog so I can decide to write it as I wish...so today I am grateful for two very, very different reasons. For part 1 (this part you're reading) I am grateful for two of my co-workers. Mr. Green and Mr. Wingo. Mr. Green is our maintenance guy and he is always making me smile. Today, I ran into him in the stairwell and he said, "shall we dance?" because we shuffled around, trying to get by each other and then he said something that is still making me smile: "To the left, to the left, to the left, to the left; to the right, to the right, to the right, to the right" AND he did the dance moves and everything (he was singing the "Cupid Shuffle"). I cracked up! He replied: "see, I know what you kids listen to!" I love him. Then, Mr. Wingo, our bus driver, popped his head into my office (as he does every day, just to check in on me) and he said, "Ms. Katie, you workin' so hard, you're making me tired." These men have time and time again put a smile on my face and I am grateful for them today.

*Monday, Dec. 12th, 2011 Part 2: So much to be grateful for today...another day of life is the easiest one for sure. The cat was let out of the bag this past weekend. The center I work for is closing its doors today. Today is the last day I will be laughing, joking, smiling, crying and dining with my 15 seniors. We are making the announcement at noon today and hope they find other places to go for fellowship and community. I am very saddened by all this because as miserable as I was with my agency, I didn't want it to end this way. I didn't want everything to fall apart; leaving me with no other choice but to leave, but that is the case. I guess it's as good a time as ever to inform ya'll that the 22nd will possibly be my last day at this agency as a JV. I am grateful for the amazing memories I will carry with me and the amazing senior ladies who brightened and challenged my life every day at work. They have taught me so much and made me appreciate my "youth" a lot. I am grateful for my JVC PC, my community, family and friends who have been praying and supporting me with finding other agencies for me to work for. Everyone has been so supportive that I am not really worried about finding another placement. So I guess this chapter is ending and another one has yet to be written, but I'm very grateful for my past four months with my center.

No comments:

Post a Comment