Tuesday, December 6, 2011

So What We Volunteer, So What We Don't Sleep

***Song lyrics based off of the song, "Young, Wild & Free" by Wiz Khalifa. This weekend, my roommate would not stop singing and changing the lyrics to this song. It's a dumb song but I think it was the unspoken theme of the weekend.

*Friday, Dec. 2nd, 2011: I am grateful for JVC today because they paid for and organized for my house and and 15 other additional year volunteers across the nation to go to Houston, TX for the first ever national additional year JVC retreat. We left today in the wee hours of the morning to make our way to Houston and once we got there, we were greeted with big smiles and hugs. It was a great start to a wonderful weekend of getting to know other volunteers and meeting new friends.

*Saturday, Dec. 3rd, 2011: Today I am thankful for being silly and my terrible basketball skills. A few of the AY JVs decided to play some basketball while on retreat and I was terrible. It's nice to know that after a year of working with youth at a rec. facility, I still stink at basketball. We had a good time, sweating, beating up the only guy who decided to play with us and just laughing with each other.

*Sunday, Dec. 4th, 2011: Today I am thankful for fellowship and friendship. Tonight we played in a series of events called the "AY Competition of Champions". It was basically the JVC AY Olympics. The first round was three questions in which we (as a team) had to come up with song titles with the words: "Love", "You" and "Baby" in them. Then, we had a series of events (both physical and non physical) in which I may or may not have hurt my back trying to crab walk. Then, we had JVC trivia and finally, we had to define what or who God was. We tied for last place but we were striving to be compassionate competitors so we won in that game instead...hahaha. It was a ton of fun.

*Monday, Dec. 5th, 2011: I am grateful for this entire weekend. It was really nice to have time away from my job and to meet AYs from all over the US who are experiencing similar things to me. As we were all circled up in the gate at the airport, I looked around thinking, "gosh, I am so lucky to have this time with these incredible people." Each person I spent the weekend with made me excited to be a JV again and each of them made me proud to be part of the Ignatian family.



*Tuesday, Dec. 6th, 2011: Today I am grateful for Christmas music. I am currently playing it at work and it is helping speed up my time at work so much. Christmas music just has the ability to make my heart fill with joy and happiness! I love most (like 98%) of the music being played non-stop on this radio station. I am grateful for the gift of Christmas music and my co-workers for putting up with my festive Christmas bounciness throughout the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment