Tuesday, October 26, 2010

A Run Down of the Past Few Days

So I'm not sure I have much to say at this point but I made a promise to myself that I would update this thing every Tuesday and Thursday so I must write! :)

Our local support people came over on Thursday and we watched "Invictus", it was pretty good. It made me want to meet Nelson Mandela...and it's always nice to see John and Sara so it was a good night. Before they arrived, we took it upon ourselves to make popcorn from scratch (over the stove) which was hilarious and may or may not have cost Alie her eye...hahaha. Kernels were flying everywhere but it tasted like the best popcorn I've ever had.

On Saturday, we watched the Phillies lose to the Giants...which made my roommates very sad. We went to some dive bar and sat contently for three hours, watching every pitch, pop up and foul ball hit in the game. Alas, it was not in the cards for them and they lost. Poor Phillies. But hey, they made it further than the Mariners have ever made it!!! :)

I spent my time on Sunday decorating for Halloween with the lovely decorations my mama got me and cooking din din with Melissa. Melissa made homemade soup (so yummy) and I baked a huge butternut squash. We have also added a picture wall to our house so now we have a little bit of ourselves/our pasts to share with anyone that comes to our house...and I get to see all my friends from home anytime I feel like it!!!

Yesterday, one of my kids asked me if I was pregnant...which was definitely a first for me. I've never been asked that before. He kept tapping my tummy and saying, "you're having a baby...don't lie...you're having a baby." I tried to tell little Justin that it was rude to ask that...but he didn't care. He only cared about the imaginary, illegitimate child I was supposedly growing in my tummy. Never a dull moment, I tell you. Now all I want to do is work out and get in shape! Speaking of which, I kind of want to run a 5k. It would be fun and the last race I ran in was a blast so it couldn't be that bad, right?

Last night we watched "The Blindside" and I loved it...it's so good. It made me want to adopt 50 children...whereas before I only wanted to adopt 20. It's a great movie which made me cry and smile. Pulls at your heart strings, that movie does.

I got some fun news from my brother: he's applying for JVC and Teach for America. If I sign on for a second year, we could be in the same JVC region at the same time!!! That would be cool...we'll see though. But yeah, as I said...boring-ish post...but I promised myself so that was the run down. I hope everyone is having a great week. Loves!

3 comments:

  1. So I'm reading all your posts at once :) I have been thinking that I want to enter a race too, but I'm missing my running buddy! But then I was thinking that we should sign up for races around the same time in our separate areas and then we can run them 'together'. What do you think? O and both GREAT movies! After I watched Invictus I researched Mandela and rugby for 2 hours! Haha Loves

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re: the pregnant question:

    Don't take it personally. Every kid I ever met in Camden asked me (a completely understandable mistake), and my roommate (who has six-pack abs) the same question.

    The reason for it is NOT that you look pregnant; it's that in terms of their life experience, it is normative for women our age to be pregnant. The kids I worked with had seen their mothers, sisters, and cousins get pregnant so often, and the women discuss it so liberally in front of the kids that it is logical (in the kids' minds) to ask a woman if she is pregnant. (Once, when I answered, "No, I'm not going to have a baby," a little girl replied, "Well, you might want to go et checked." She was six years old.)

    So, long story short, it's a cultural thing. I could never convince a Camden child that it was a rude question to ask.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kels---I think that's a fabulous idea!!! I would love to enter a race at the same time so we can train together from across the country!!! hahaha.

    Molly---thanks, I understand that now, it was just a little alarming at first...hahaha. Thanks for the insight!

    ReplyDelete