Thursday, October 21, 2010

Through the Eyes of a Child

My office is lined with artwork from my kids...it's a wonderful way to remind myself as to why I'm here...it's the perfect way to keep me focused on what's important.

I have hand prints with the words, "I love you" written in them. I have pictures of trees, stamped pieces on colored paper and the ever popular drawn "blob" in various shades of green, blue, purple and red.

On Tuesday, I wore my superheros shirt to work and it was a huge hit. My kids poked and shrieked over one another to point out which superhero was which. They all decided to draw pictures of their favorite superhero for me; but most of them ended up taking them home because they were so proud of their pictures.

Relatability---I am finding this to be the most important trait to continue with my kids. Whether it's through my childish t-shirts, silly drawings or sometimes foolish behavior, I am finding that being relatable to my kids not only puts me on their level, but in their world. Fart jokes are all of a sudden funnier to me, hours of building legos isn't boring and seeing the world through the eyes of innocence is slowing coming back to me. I can see the hope and love they have in their eyes and it makes my world better.

Yesterday morning, I was rushing to shave my legs and I cut my knee...it wasn't too bad, but it was in a weird spot so I had to put a band aid on it. During the after school program, Giovanni (a 5 year old boy) pointed at my leg and asked, "Miss Katie, how did you get that?" I told him that older girls shave their legs and I cut myself shaving. He asked, "does it hurt?" I told him it only hurts when I think about it...then Gio bent down and kissed my knee...he said, "now it's better, right?" I smiled at Gio and said, "much better, thanks Gio."

My kids - my kids - show me how to love in such beautiful ways. Just when I think my day is going kinda blah, they'll do something that will remind me of why I'm here.

Last week, Bella (6 year old girl) was in the art room and she told me she was missing her mommy. I told her, "well, I miss my mommy too." Bella looked up at me with water in her eyes and said, "why? Where's your mommy?" I told her that my mom was all the way across the country (which I'm sure she had no clue what that meant). I suggested that we make our mommies cards so that they would know that we were thinking of them...Bella loved the idea and began scribbling something in pink colored pencil. When she was finished she wrote her name on it and put it in her bag. I had yet to finish so Bella, Lailani, Keyana and Ariana helped me finish my card (which is now in the mail to my mom...sorry for the spoiler, mom).

Relatability---Gio related to my boo boo, Bella related to me missing my mom...when you think you'll have nothing in common with someone, they show you differently. Life is much more enjoyable through the eyes of a child. It's more simple...it's more honest...it's more loving. I am learning so much from them...I can't wait to see what they'll show me today from 2:30-5pm. Here's hoping for more decorations for my office! Loves.

1 comment:

  1. So I know you wrote this a while ago, but I'm just reading this now. Katie, I'm so happy for you!!! It sounds like things at work are absolutely amazing! Your stories are inspiring and heart-warming and help me to remember why I do what I do. I'm so glad that the little ones are bringing out the best side of you, helping you become a kid again, and making you enjoy what you do!!! I hope it continues! Much much much love to you and your lovely kids! ~Kels

    ReplyDelete