Wednesday, January 11, 2012

"Blue skies smilin' at me. Nothin' but blue skies do I see."

***Song lyrics (in title of blog) taken from "Blue Skies" by Irving Berlin.

*Tuesday, Jan. 10th, 2012: Today I am grateful for reminders of my past. We watched "Dying to Live" tonight...a fabulous movie on immigration and migrant workers and it reminded me of the work I was privileged to do with Agape in the summers of 2009 and 2010. We used to use the movie during Agape to show the experiences of a migrant and to show a humanistic portrayal of immigration. I led a conversation about it all with my housemates after that and it was so fruitful to share the stories of the families I met through my summers working with the migrant camps in Lynden, WA. I showed my housemates pictures and told them about funny moments, sad moments and my opinions on immigration and the US agricultural department(s). It was great to re-live and dust off those old Agape journals and remember those I love. I am grateful for that time and space to share tonight.

*Wednesday, Jan. 11th, 2012: I guess when you are on your way out and the finish line is more in range it is easier to be appreciative of the things that have challenged you or the things you are struggling with. That's how I'm feeling today. Although Emmaus was difficult and messy and trying at time, I end my day today (my last day at Emmaus) grateful. I am eternally grateful for the love I've felt from the seniors, our laughter, the memories I'll hold dear and the pain that we've experience. I will carry their stories and lives with me everywhere I go because they loved me from the moment I stepped foot into that building on 1426 9th Street NW. They have challenged me and surprised me; they have encouraged me and loved me for who I am (except that they keep bugging me to find a man). I love them and will miss each and every one of them. I am grateful for my supervisor, who has been nothing but encouraging and loving and supportive throughout everything. She has such a heart of love and a heart of compassion that I am grateful for her. Thank you, Emmaus for so many, many reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment