Tuesday, January 3, 2012

"When My Heart Finds Christmas, I Hope it Finds You Too"

***Song lyrics (in blog title) taken from "When My Heart Finds Christmas" by Harry Connick Jr.

*Wednesday, Dec. 21st, 2011: Last day of work in 2011!!! Today was rough and irritating and stressful but I am thankful for vacation time away from my messy work situation. I am thankful for the opportunity and the gift to leave this craziness and the time to take a break away from everything. I just need time away and it's coming TOMORROW! I am so excited to see my parents and see my brother for Christmas. I can't wait...I am grateful for this gift!

*Thursday, Dec. 22nd, 2011: Today I am thankful for kind travelers, willing to give up their seat on a plane. I got on my flight to Chicago perfectly but when I got to my gate at Chicago, I didn't have a seat assignment. They over-booked the flight and didn't have a seat for me...I was freaking out because I know zero people in Chicago I could contact in case I was stranded overnight. After they boarded everyone and closed the gate doors, I started to tear up because it thought that was it for me and I'd have to play my odds to get on a flight the next day...THEN some people gave up their seats. Two very nice young women stepped forward to give up their seats and I got my seat assignment. What holiday spirit...what kindness. I am grateful for their kindness today because I got into Boise at 11:30pm because of their kindness.

*Friday, Dec. 23rd, 2011: I am grateful for quality Mommy and Katie time today. I woke up early, went for a run and went out to breakfast with my parents, and then my mom and I hit the stores. As soon as she saw my wardrobe, she was startled by my lack of "big girl clothes" so she took me shopping. I don't know how simple living it is or what have you, but she spent money on a relatively new wardrobe for me. More importantly, I spent about five hours with my mom, making fun of the crazy styles out there, laughing about our past shopping trips and just spending quality time together. I miss my mama so much and this little shopping trip reminded me of how much peace and joy she brings to my life.

*Saturday, Dec. 24th, 2011: CHRISTMAS EVE!!! I am thankful for my brother because he and I made Christmas Eve Mass memorable...or maybe that was the off key, out of tune choir...hmmmm. The church was beautiful, but that was probably the extent of the meaningfulness of the Mass. It was a very disappointing Mass because the priest seemed like he didn't want to be there, the choir was awful and the congregation seemed out of it as well...BUT despite this, my brother and I bonded over the terrible choir and reflected on the readings after Mass. I am thankful for his reflections and willingness to make the most out of the disappointing Mass.



*Sunday, Dec. 25th, 2011: CHRISTMAS DAY!!! I am grateful for my sister(s) today. Although they weren't able to make it up to Boise for Christmas, they called during our opening of gifts and opened two of theirs while we were on the phone with them. It was as if they were there. Not having them there was a bummer because their presence(s) were definitely missed but I love that they made up for it by calling and opening gifts with us over the phone. It was a bright idea and I am grateful for both of them today.

*Monday, Dec. 26th, 2011: I am grateful for a whole day of football and a whole day of laziness. My brother and I watched football together and our silly comments about the game made me realize how similar we are sometimes. After watching countless college games, we watched Jeopardy with my parents (a favorite past time). I am amazed by my father's knowledge and his ability to wait until we have all guessed every possible answer before he chimes in his (correct) answer. He is so smart and I hope to one day beat him in Jeopardy...hahaha...I am grateful for bonding over similar TV watching styles and laziness today.

*Tuesday, Dec. 27th, 2011: I am grateful for Conway fun family day! My parents, brother and I went to see the new Muppets movie and then did a family tradition of scouting out the "pretties" (Christmas lights) of the neighborhood. It was like we were kids again...it was fun to goof around and laugh together and just spend a lot of quality time together. I loved every minute of our family fun time. It also made me very thankful for our ability to enjoy each other's company without any added "stuff". We have a good time just hanging out together and simply driving around in a car and looking at Christmas lights together is the epitome of our simple leisure activities. I am grateful for them and that today.

*Wednesday, Dec. 28th, 2011: My last day in Boise...I am grateful for this time I've gotten to spend with my family. I am incredibly grateful for the kindness of my brother (for buying me a plane ticket home), for my sister(s) (for thinking of us from so far away), for my dad (for his silly humor and challenging questions about my life and future choices) and for my mama (for just being a wonderful and loving human being). This trip reminded me of everything I love in life. It helped me to remember who I am at my core and who I want to be. Tonight, I went on a pie date with my mama (our tradition from years ago) and we got to have really in-depth conversations about family, friends and relationships. I am so grateful for my family and so grateful for this gift to be with them during the holidays (especially when there are many who don't get to be with their loved ones during the holidays). This was a wonderful week of gratitude and humility.

No comments:

Post a Comment