Thursday, January 19, 2012

"Smiles light up as we walk in. Old conversations begin again. Hey, everything's right, everything's right tonight."

***Song lyrics (in title of blog) from the song "Everything's Right" by Matt Wertz.

*Thursday, Jan. 12th, 2012: ROAD TRIPPIN'!!! I am thankful for a fun-filled road trip up to Re-O today. Sitting in between Britt and Andy was hilarious and I am so thankful for the inside jokes we created (and continued) and the good memories we created in that almost five hour long experience.

*Friday, Jan. 13th, 2012: I am thankful for an amazing conversation and catch up time with an amazing individual. Time seemed to fly by tonight as we sat in the peace room (set up for quiet reflection during the retreat) and talked. It was so good to unload and process and hear him talk about his life/struggles/etc. I am thankful for that time with him tonight.

*Saturday, Jan. 14th, 2012: Today I am grateful for the time I got to spend running with Britt and Colleen. During our two hour chunk of time/break, we decided to run together. It was great to laugh and run and talk about stuff with one another. I really enjoyed how fast the run went by because I was running with two amazing women. It was a lot of fun and I am grateful for that time with them and for a good work out with them today.

*Sunday, Jan. 15th, 2012: I am grateful for Mass last night. It was incredibly powerful to think back to where I was at during this time last year and to look around at the people who are riding out this roller coaster ride with me. The renewal of my commitment to JVC and the blessing of hands was amazing...it was a blessing to have that time with God and my community and my greater JVC community at Mass last night especially because it helped begin my day today on a positive note and I am thankful for that.

*Monday, Jan. 16th, 2012: Today I am grateful for my time at Re-O this weekend. It was wonderful to just be and to hear from people I haven't heard from in a long time. It was an amazing opportunity for self-reflection and processing the past five months with Emmaus. I am so incredibly thankful for the time I was given to spend with people and myself.

*Tuesday, Jan. 17th, 2012: First day at Miriam's Kitchen and it was great! A lot to take in, but sooooo good. The staff is incredible and their approach to homelessness and how to "treat" it is beautiful. I was exhausted but felt so rejuvenated to be doing work that means a lot to my heart and to the hearts around me. I am thankful for a wonderful first day today. Also, Britt led our community in an amazingly powerful community night about death and dying. It was so powerful and so moving to hear from my community members and myself about our views on death and dying. I am thankful for that safe space to explore and learn from each other tonight.

*Wednesday, Jan. 18th, 2012: AHHHH! I am thankful for my amazing friends back home in Bellingham, WA. More specifically, for Sarah and Lucas! I am thankful for their beautiful relationship and the inspiration they give me in finding love and keeping/nurturing love. I am grateful for them tonight because Sarah called and asked me to be a bridesmaid in their wedding!!! AHHHHH! Of course I said no...hahaha...just kidding. I am so honored to be a part in their amazing day and love story. I can't wait to be an active participant in their wedding. It's going to be soooooo good! Love you both so so so much!

*Thursday, Jan. 19th, 2012: Went to a Point in Time training this morning to go over the procedures we need to go through for a survey we're going to conduct on Jan. 25th to count the homeless people in DC and there was a man who pulled Emily and me aside after the meeting and he told us this: "I used to be here. I used to come here to eat, to meet up with friends and then after two years, I pulled myself out of it. It was hard work and many, many trials but I am a success story." He told us about his background and what he's doing now and it was great. It was a nice way to remind ourselves that we plant the seeds that we may not see grow...because the JV from a few years ago probably didn't think he/she was making much of a difference with him, but he/she did. Today, I am thankful for success stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment