Monday, January 9, 2012

"I'm not gonna let it get me down; I'm not gonna cry and I'm not gonna lose any sleep tonight."

***Song lyrics (in title of blog) taken from "Bring on the Rain" by Jo Dee Messina. "I'm not gonna let it get me down. I'm not gonna cry. And I'm not gonna lose any sleep tonight ('cause) tomorrow's another day and I am not afraid so bring on the rain."

*Saturday, Jan. 7th, 2012: Today was a day full of fun and tourism! I went to a handful of Smithsonians and it was fabulous. The National Art Gallery was amazing and I plan to go back as soon as I can. It was so relaxing and enjoyable. It was exactly what I needed after a long week of ups and downs, it was nice just to look at beautiful paintings and remember why I love art so much. Then, I met up with Brittney and her friend at the American History museum and we goofed around on all the transportation exhibits; taking pictures and being silly. Today I am grateful for down time and living in an incredible city, full of history.

*Sunday, Jan. 8th, 2012: I am so grateful for Mass this morning. It was phenomenal. The Gospel reading was all about the Epiphany, and how Herod asked the Maggi to find Jesus and then report back to him. The priest took this reading and related it to two things: 1) Greeting everyday as a gift and 2) Relinquishing our allusions of control. For the first part, he said it reminded him of an old "Hi and Lois" comic strip. He explained it like the Dad wakes up and says, "ugh, another dumb day at my dumb job, doing the same dumb work." Then it shows the Mom, "ugh, another dumb day, doing dumb housework and cooking the same dumb meal." Then it shows the teenager, "ugh, another dumb day going to another dumb day of school, doing the same dumb homework." Then it finally shows the two-year-old girl, Trixie, with big eyes, just waking up in her crib: "Another Day!" The priest talked about how we need to greet each day like Trixie, with big Christmas eyes and thanking the Lord for the greatest gift, life itself. THEN, he related Herod's desperation to cling onto control to how we each have a little Herod in us...we each think we have control and desperately want control, but the true wisdom, the sign of adulthood comes when we learn to relinquish the little Herod in us, when we learn to let go of our allusions of control. It was a really, really wonderful homily and I'm so happy I got to hear it today.

*Monday, Jan. 9th, 2012: Today, I am thankful for my encouraging supervisor. She was such a source of strength and support today. Today I had to meet with my ED about my departure from Emmaus and he was less than pleased. Beforehand, my supervisor was encouraging, supportive and as I told her I was nervous and scared she said, "Katie, don't you give him that power to make you feel that way." It was such a beautiful thing to say. Her words carried with me into the meeting with my ED and gave me such strength and courage. I am so incredibly grateful for her today.

No comments:

Post a Comment