Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Ecclesiastes 3:1-15

So this Bible quote keeps popping up in my life...I have always liked it and have felt a little sad about the fact that it's associated with funerals all the time (it makes sense but it's still sad). So whenever I read it aloud, there is always someone who starts crying because it was read at so-in-so's funeral...not my intent to make them sad, I just love this quote because it's all about things happening for a reason, which I am a firm believer in and have found it carrying me through these past few weeks.

*Saturday, Oct. 8th, 2011: I am thankful for my roommates, Brittney and Colleen. First, Brittney is playing for a soccer league and Colleen and I went to her game on Saturday. While watching Brittney play, I remembered how much I miss sports; how much I miss kicking a ball around, pushing a girl to the ground and genuinely kicking butt on the soccer field. It was this spark that made Colleen and myself want to put together a "fit camp" with our friends in DC and in the other JV house. I am thankful for the opportunity to go to Britt's game and feel that urge again. I am grateful for Colleen for entertaining my desire to put together a group of people who want to play any kind of sport for "fun's sake" and for actually getting excited about it. I am thankful for both of them for their constant support and for watching Pride and Prejudice with me on Saturday while vegging out on junk food! It's the little things in life that make you smile, right?

*Sunday, Oct. 9th, 2011: I am grateful for little snip-its that remind me of home. After going to church at St. Augustine's (awesome homily and Mass, by the way), Brittney and I went to watch the Jets vs. Pats game at a bar. We got there early so I got to watch the Seahawks vs. the Giants play for a good hour. As I watched my favorite neon green and navy blue birds run up and down the field, I discovered I was not the only 'Hawks fan in the bar...there were three (kinda obnoxious) men sitting to my right with Seahawks ball caps and shirts on. They were excitible and cheered whenever a good play was made (regardless of the team) and pasty white and shook hands with the Giants fans when they left the bar so I knew they had to be from the Pacific Northwest. The Seahawks beat the Giants (much to my surprise) and it was fun to not feel like the lone Seattle fan in a sea of Pats, Jets, Giants and Eagles fans. It was good to feel at home when I saw the three (semi-obnoxious) men shake hands with the Giants fans after we won...good sportsmanship, big smiles and that "12th Man" mentality reminded me of where my roots are and I'm grateful for that.

*Monday, Oct. 10th, 2011: Today I am grateful a particular senior who took me aside and made me feel loved. I handed out the schedule today and when I had finished, a senior came up to me and said, "So does that mean we're not going to Walmart this month?" I looked at her and said, "no, because we still haven't hired an activities coordinator so until we do, we cannot take any trips." She looked at me with disappointment and said, "well I thought you were the new activities coordinator." I turned to her, and said, "no, I'm not, but I wish I was. I would love to spend most of my day down here with you guys." She smiled and said, "and we would love to have you do it to. You should tell the person in charge we want you down here. You got support with us and we're backing you up for sure." I smiled and my heart weakened. All the struggles I've been having, all the temptations to cut my losses and peace out, they melted away in that conversation. She is the reason I am here, she is why God sent me here and although I am really unsure about what my actual job entails, she is motivation to stay here.

And now I leave you with the quote that's been echoing my last few weeks:

"1 There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every [a]event under heaven—
2 A time to give birth and a time to die;
A time to plant and a time to uproot what is planted.
3 A time to kill and a time to heal;
A time to tear down and a time to build up.
4 A time to weep and a time to laugh;
A time to mourn and a time to dance.
5 A time to throw stones and a time to gather stones;
A time to embrace and a time to shun embracing.
6 A time to search and a time to give up as lost;
A time to keep and a time to throw away.
7 A time to tear apart and a time to sew together;
A time to be silent and a time to speak.
8 A time to love and a time to hate;
A time for war and a time for peace.

9 What profit is there to the worker from that in which he toils? 10 I have seen the task which God has given the sons of men with which to occupy themselves.
God Set Eternity in the Heart of Man
11 He has made everything [b]appropriate in its time. He has also set eternity in their heart, [c]yet so that man will not find out the work which God has done from the beginning even to the end.
12 I know that there is nothing better for them than to rejoice and to do good in one’s lifetime; 13 moreover, that every man who eats and drinks sees good in all his labor—it is the gift of God. 14 I know that everything God does will remain forever; there is nothing to add to it and there is nothing to take from it, for God has so worked that men should [d]fear Him. 15 That which is has been already and that which will be has already been, for God seeks what has passed by." -Ecclesiastes 3:1-15

No comments:

Post a Comment