Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Finally Ready to Fall in Love Again

*Tuesday, Oct. 11th, 2011: Today I am incredibly thankful for prayers and God-given strength. I couldn't have made it through today if it wasn't for those two things that have very little to do with me. First, the prayers of family and friends have been carrying me through these last few weeks and especially recently. Today I had a huge, important, life-altering (OK, not exactly) meeting with my supervisor. I was incredibly nervous about it for about a week and incredibly afraid of what things might come to the surface in this meeting. Needless to say, I was in need of support, prayers and some inner-strength that God provided. Somehow, I walked into the meeting and found the strength to communicate all my concerns/issues I've been having so far in DC with my role as the Social Justice and Advocacy Coordinator. I stood up for myself (which any of my close friends can attest, I don't ever do) and what resulted was such a positive and helpful result. My supervisor accepted responsibility for the issues, we came up with plans on how to improve and made me feel like I was heard and action was taking place for me to really grow and learn and give to this agency. So thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for all your prayers, love, concern and advice this past week. And most of all, thank you, God, for providing me with the strength I needed to actually stand up for myself.

*Wednesday, Oct. 12th, 2011: Today I am thankful for my seniors. I know I've been thankful for them a lot lately but they bring out such interesting sides of me each day/week so I am thankful for them in different ways each week. Today was the first day that I actually walked away from talking with a few of my seniors feeling like, "oh-o, Katie, you're going to fall in love with these seniors and be broken once again." The first time I actually felt love and felt like I was giving love since I got to DC. I made an announcement about a suggestion box for the seniors to put ideas and thoughts they have in it and one senior said, "can you help me find a boyfriend?" I responded with, "only if you can help me find one!" We all laughed and it was a cute moment between us. Today they've been pulling me aside, telling me how wonderful I am, reaffirming why I am here and just laughing with me about silly things. I am falling in love again and I think I am finally ready to allow myself to let them impact me, love me and break me. YAY! for good days.

No comments:

Post a Comment