Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Go on and Put Your Hands Up, When Times are Hard You Stand Up

"...One in the air for the people that ain’t here.
Two in the air for the father that’s there.
Three in the air for the kids in the ghetto.
Four for the kids who don’t wanna be there.
None for the n-ggas trying to hold them back.
Five in the air for the teacher not scared to tell those kids that’s living in the ghetto that the n-ggas holdin back that the World is theirs!"

Lyrics today brought to you by Lupe Fiasco's "Show Goes On"...probably one of the most inspirational and motivating songs out there right now.

*Tuesday, Oct. 25, 2011: I am grateful for networking. It's strange that I've never really networked before living in DC but I am finding that networking is basically the only way to get anywhere in this city. Today I had a meeting with someone who I think is going to be a huge ally of mine. He is a volunteer advocate for seniors in DC, specifically Ward 2 (my ward). He and I met today and discussed HIV/AIDS Prevention programs, making a committee of all seniors (so they can advocate for themselves) and just sharing resources as far as aging goes (more networking!). I am so thankful for this gift God has placed in my lap in the form of this 60-something-year-old man who just wants to make our society care more about the aging population. He is so passionate and proactive and KNOWLEDGEABLE about issues with the policies regarding (or not regarding) seniors; which is going to be such an asset for me! Thank the Lord for him!!!

*Wednesday, Oct. 26, 2011: Today I am thankful for for people in particular. It's funny how when I sat down to write this entry for today at 12:30pm, I couldn't come up with something to be grateful for and then God revealed amazing people to me. So the first is my co-worker who I was especially close to at Emmaus, who left with the transition. She called today and after I got done with my speal: "Hello, it's a great day at Emmaus, my name is Katie, how may I help you?" I heard, "hey, gurl, how you doin'? What you up to gurrrrl?" in a very low, kinda creepy voice. It was her!!! I haven't talked to her since she left about a month ago so it was such a pleasant and wonderful surprise! We talked, gossiped and then she said, "so when can I meet you at Jo Jo's for Happy Hour? I need to see you soon...I miss you!" It touched my heart. In the short month and a half we got to work together we both clicked so quickly that I'm glad I wasn't the only one gaining from that relationship---it's a mutual exchange of love!!! So that put me in a good mood...THEN, my brother and I had been e-mailing each other back and forth about Thanksgiving day plans and today I broke the news to him that our time together was going to be limited to 10 and a half hours during our Thanksgiving break because of ride situations and traveling and what not. I was pretty bummed about this and then he replied with, "honestly, Katie, I'm just happy with whatever time I get to spend with you, I don't care how long it is." That made my day. Between my old co-worker and my brother, great human beings helped remind me of what's important: quality time with those you love, no matter how long that time may be. :)

*Thursday, Oct. 27, 2011: Today I am grateful for my roommate, Colleen's, agency. Colleen invited us Petworth ladies to help out at the Halloween event last night and we gladly accepted. She put us in charge of separate tasks...mine was to help kids (ages 5-17) make and decorate "Thank You" cards for Georgetown Cupcake (who donated 100 cupcakes to the Halloween party). It was so great, I got marker all over my hands, I had two kids ask me to come mentor at the center and I definitely got my "kid" fix. I forgot how happy children make me...it's like night and day between my current job and anytime I am around children. My spirits are lifted. So tonight I am actually going to take action and find an organization to volunteer with during my free time. I need kid exposure because otherwise I'm going to forget how much joy there is to be had around those little faces!

*Friday, Oct. 28, 2011: Today I am grateful for letter writing. I received a letter in the mail yesterday from the Death Row Support Project (I registered with them a couple months ago, didn't hear back from them so I just forgot about it) and I have been paired up with an inmate on death row! I am so excited to begin this pen pal journey with him. I think there is so much untapped power in letter writing that I would love for it to have a comeback! Especially now-a-days, with everything being at our fingertips and instant gratification being at the forefront of our minds, receiving and taking the time to write a letter carries so much weight. It shows that you care; but it also shows that you took time out of your busy schedule to stop and think about a friend, loved one, family member or a complete stranger, like my death row inmate. I get so much joy when I see I've gotten a letter from someone, so I hope that that sentiment is felt by someone who receives a letter from me as well! Today I am grateful for showing love in a dying art form: letter writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment